Sunday, July 30, 2006

Reading my friend Greg's post got me thinking a bit and so I'll ramble a bit about the things that I have been pondering for a while.

I was listening to Bill O'riley one afternoon and he was stating the Christian philosophy (Jesus is God) is not a religion. Going to church – be it protestant or catholic – and following their rules (i.e. conforming your beliefs to match that of one particular denomination or group) is the essence of religion. Without conformity of the group, man's church will not exist. Therefore the “Christian” way is not a religion at all it is a philosophy. This tickled my head for a while. I'm not sure why.


There are some folks around here who are scared shitless of the adventure of Harry Potter. They will not admit this but I see them run from any discussion of it. I think there is something much deeper going on here than such superficial topics. I'm not positive on exactly what this is but it is floating in my head every so often. Having a conversation with a Mormon, a homeless man, Harry Potter, Rock and Roll, gay and lesbian issues and all of the rest of the little quirks that Christian type folks go to great lengths to avoid make me wonder if something is misunderstood.

I have read all about Jesus and I distinctly remember who He hung out with. Sadly, it wasn't us. The clean cut smell good folks, the somewhat financially struggling middle class family who are in debt to show people that they really are not poor, those who hope that people don't see them enjoying an adult beverage – I think you get the point. I am wondering if we as God's people do not comprehend what is alive in us. The unknown power that is within.

I have seen books written about Mormons and others that leaves me sad. The Christian “leaders” treat them as prizes to be had or sub-human. They can not comprehend that these people are just as human as we are. They too have learned things we have not. They too have a story to tell. Same as the homeless. By subconsciously seeing them as a prize to be won over, you will never fully open up to them and let them see the real you.