Sunday, July 30, 2006

I wrote this the other week and forgot to post it.


Warriors and Skirts

There is a subtle difference.

My wife said the other day that when she cleaned out my boys toy box she stopped counting at 35 weapons. God bless them!! Now I'm not the guy that mounts anything that you killed on the wall for all to see. I grew up with those men and I have a great deal of appreciation for them but it ain't my style. However, I am going to raise my kids gender appropriate – meaning my boys will not have their warrior instincts suppressed and my girl will remain a princess.

Too often today I see a great deal of kids who are more confused than ever. Unisex parenting has rendered feminine boys that wear more padding than a hockey goalie when it comes to riding a bike.....in the park....on the grass. See, my parents taught me that when a bike and a car meet, the car is going to win every flippin' time – so stay away from the 4,000 lb beast that will make you about a 1/2” thin. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't wear a helmet but my gosh at least try to make it as not gay looking as possible.

Where was I.... oh, I guess what I'm saying is that those boys have instincts deep inside them. They, as well as the husband you married, dream of slaying dragons of a large variety – bugs to robbers. You take away the plastic swords, they will make new ones. Take away projectile weapons, they have rubber bands. You try to keep them safe from a bloody knee, they will be timid and bland. Women are drawn to masculinity and men are drawn to femininity. That is the way Father made us. To suppress it will create less of a man that He desires.

Think about it, where in the Bible (the greatest story ever told) have you read an inspiring story about a man without a spine? OK except Jonah.