Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It bugs me that's why.

What would the world be like if the credit for curing cancer (a very prominent subject on my mind) was given to the church in Las Vegas? How much of an impact would be given if the church in Phoenix curred AIDS? What would we see if Africa's hunger pains were permanently cured by the church in America (not the government)? Would it go unnoticed? Would the church get more recognition for helping to solve the world's problems or do their massively huge buildings and multi million dollar budgets do more for them? Yes the Catholic church has helped many but what about the Roman one that has it's own zip code and streets that are damn near paved with gold? I had always heard that Jesus told us to help widows and orphans, the sick and helpless, those that society hides. So just who are we helping? How often do you find yourself sitting in a pew next to a stinky person that doesn't belong there. Just how well do they fit in our church of America? How well do you fit in with them? I'll be honest, when I have had the money to tithe I rarely did. Why? I couldn't stomach seeing the money being spent on me.

I have a lot of respect for some pastors. Some of my closest friends are pastors and have a heart of gold. And while I hold them in the highest regard, they don't always have something so profound to say that it requires them to stand on stage and speak about it for 30-45 minutes every week. What about other people in the crowd that Father has touched?

I am intrigued about the Crusades. Christians against Islam. Bloody swords on both sides not once abiding by the very thing of which they fought for. I am slightly uneducated about the whole thing to be truthful but I'm not sure if our current struggles in the world's society are any different. What if we (the church) dropped the whole political movement and only followed our Master? What would life look like then? Would America be any different? How would society view us? Would there be as many of us? Would there be any persecution? Frankly, I think we could use a little bit of persecution. Sick, I know. But I wonder just how sharp be could be in that situation?

I'm sure I sound like a little bratty teenager who wants to cause trouble for no reason but just how comfortable are you sitting in the pew listening about a poor, rebellious, homeless, teacher who loved those who were hated. So much so that he was slaughtered for it. He has risen, My King has risen indeed.