Thursday, October 20, 2005

It has always stumped me as to why John always referred to himself as “the disciple whom Jesus loved”. I always thought in the back of my mind that he was the most arrogant of all the disciples and that is saying a lot. I now think he may have been on to something. In his book he writes that the stories that were told so that you might believe that Jesus is the Messiah - the Son of God. I wonder if John finally discovered that after all the things that happened that he had seen - it all boiled down to discovering that Jesus loved him passionately. I wonder if this was such a massive concept that he creatively reflected it in his book. To fully understand that you are loved beyond reason by the same man who you spent over three years with doing incredible feats of wonder, healing multitudes of people, feeding crowds, ultimately being slaughtered and then alive again, who also created you and the heavens and the earth – to see Him standing in front of you would be an astounding thing indeed.