Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I’m a radical thanks to Jimmy.

That night I opened the door and met a wild hired bearded man that damn near looked like he was the latest castoff from Survivor. Honestly, I didn’t know what to think. He seemed nice until he picked up a remote on my Xbox and then he kicked my ass on Halo. So much for pleasantries.

His thought process was most intriguing. He introduced me to “Fight Club”, B movies, independent films, Quentin Tarentino, and a host of other movies and what not. He also encouraged me to read some books that I would normally never touch. It wasn’t that the subject matter was odd; it was that I didn’t read books. Period. He was extreme minded. I was not. Not even close. And while he and Jodie debated weather God wanted someone to eat at McDonalds or Burger King for lunch I not only saw extremism but a very pure form of love. When it was all said and done and the shouting was over, I left knowing that, while he proved his point, he cared for me deeply and everyone else in that room and would have gladly died for us. He was the ultimate example of a servant. Often he would drop everything, including a game, and work on my problem with my stupid computer.

While I didn’t agree with everything that he said and that we debated with, there is a bond that we shared. He worked for me at the store and we spent a lot of time discussing the Apex quandaries and House of Teens issues. I think it was a time of transition for both of us. I still don’t consider myself an extremist, but I have learned a great deal from Jim. I have learned to step out of my box of what I am positive to be true and look at it from the outside. I have gained a new fondness for acceptance of those that don’t see eye to eye to my views because maybe my views might not be found out of truth. I learned that while the Bible is a pure form of truth, it can be a blinder to other truths. He pushed me to stretch my creativity by starting something called Blogging.

So here is to you my friend. May our Father lead you on to hills farther up the way. May you and your blessed wife lead a life of endless exploration of this Kingdom of wonder.