Tuesday, November 30, 2004

We are in a drought you say?

I’m not one of those that run around screaming that we are all going to die because we are going to run out of water, breathable air, or that we are going to glow because of Yucca Mountain. Quite frankly I’ve got better things to do and I also realize that we little humans can hardly make it rain much less destroy this planet.

If Lake Mead is a man made lake because of Boulder Dam, why is the water level so “low”? The logical theory that I’m falling for is this:

-If someone would want to blow up the dam, our measure of security would be to station police check points at each end but far enough back as to prevent a runaway from blowing through.

-If a terrorist got past the check point but alerted security, I would install automatic barriers to prevent any large truck access.

-If a terrorist succeeded and triggered a bomb, the worst situation would be to have a full lake. The nature of high pressure water would escalate and demolish the dam with just a “small crater”. Therefore I (if I were in charge) would lower the water level in order to prevent such an event and make it possible to make any repairs necessary from such an event.

Now you might ask me for evidence of such a theory. Here it is:

-Lake Powel’s dam has 3 massive water gates that are fully opened flushing water down the Colorado River to Lake Mead.

-Most of Colorado’s lakes (farther up from Lake Powel) are completely full and with the recent snow and rain, they need to drain.

But please keep in mind that we are in a drought.