Saturday, October 09, 2004

Dear Ella,

I have been waiting for you with deep anticipation and anxiety. I knew that someday someone would steal my heart but never like this. Your mother has had my heart for a long time, and now you and your brothers also have a piece of it. I didn’t think this was possible but nonetheless it is true. God has given you to me as a gift that I am not worthy of. The very thought of you growing up shakes me to my core. How you can walk into the room and make it dance is beyond me. You captivate everyone’s joy and hold it in the palm of your hand. Your eyes sparkle as you bring me your gifts and give them away freely.

As I held you tight last night and rocked you to sleep I sang the song that was played at our wedding. I know that someday you will leave my house and become the woman God has created you to be but until then, I will cherish these years that you live with me. Until that time, your are mine and I will show you what a man of God should resemble. I will never be perfect but you will get the idea. I will show you how a man should honor, love and respect his bride so that someday you will find a man that will do it better than me.

As you can see, the years ahead will be very busy with me teaching you and your brothers the joy that is found on this world. But for now, I will treasure the thought of you snuggling me and tucking your hands under your body and resting in the peace that God has given. Goodnight my treasure.

Sincerely,

Dad