Saturday, August 07, 2004

My Passion

This morning I was awakened by my boys desperately trying to be quiet while my wife and I attempted to sleep. Sooner or latter they couldn’t contain their energy. Whack! and the wrestling began and continued for a half hour until I had to excuse myself to go to work. That made my day.

I am so thankful that my kids will have the childhood that I never had. Not that mine was terrible, but it did lack a father figure for most of my youth. My dad lived in another town and I visited him during the summer breaks and holidays and such, but the everyday father, he was not. I don’t hold that against my mom and dad now. I love them both very much and value the relationship that I have with them as a “close friend” for lack of better vocabulary. Honestly, although I am learning what being a father is all about, I found a passion for fatherhood through my past.

I believe that when two people join in marriage and create another person, that person should be respected more than any adult. Just because that child can’t protect itself, doesn’t mean that they should receive all the consequences from the parent’s actions. The kids that we have are much more than a gift. A gift is one which we can use as we see fit. A child is a mirror that mimics the parent’s actions. A child also has no other options but to rely on those who created it. Therefore the parent’s should be required to take on the consequences of their own actions regardless of comfort. Adult comfort is forfeited when children are present.

Why do I say these things? On what authority?
I am a child of a divorce. My family has suffered through more family quarrels and divorces than the Jerry Springer show (so it would seem). I have also been in contact with a number of group homes in my past and have seen first hand the damage that parents do to their children. The stories from that haunt me leave me filled with rage and tears.