Saturday, August 21, 2004

I’ll ask because I’m free to do so.

The people that God used in the bible were common men and women. Most uneducated, mostly poor, mostly lived a boring life until God jumped in. I wonder if they were seeking Him and finding Him hiding in everything that they did. I wonder if God saw their hearts and knew that this person was ripe for an adventure beyond their wildest dreams. I wonder if God knew that they wouldn’t doubt him because of their uneducated minds in the way of religion. The funny thing is the only schooled teachers in the bible were the Pharisees and Sadducees, who took great pride in this fact and made it clear to everyone that they had the fullest amount of knowledge of God. They were so smart that they were deemed holy men by other men. Dare I say, they were held in such high regard in the community, that they taught every week in huge buildings decorated with the finest materials that money (tithes) could buy. I guess I should say that there might have been others that were educated in religion that God did use, however, they were rare.

So you ask – “what is my question?”

What’s changed?

Jesus came and brought massive change to the church for about a century or so and then we returned to what was comfortable. Most of us no longer seek God but seek the wisdom of man’s interpretation of God.

- Thomas Aquinas once visited Pope Innocent II and the Pope showed Thomas the abundance of funds in the church treasury, the works of art, the extravagant decorations and ornaments in the chapel. "You see, Thomas," said the Pope, "the church can no longer say, ‘Silver and gold have I none.’ " "True," Thomas replied, "but neither can she now say, ‘Rise and walk.’ "