Saturday, July 17, 2004

My muddied thoughts…
 
Throughout the past week, I’ve been discussing the stuff on my previous posts with other people and I think that I have come to a clear definition of what is bothering me so much.
 
I see us as taking our attention away from the Father and focusing it on other causes.
 
Here is what I mean… I think.
 
The life that Jesus calls us to live is a very exciting one for sure.  We live in a kingdom that is not seen by this world but we also have our feet firmly planted in this world as well.  We are expected to survive here while pursuing his kingdom and this is a massive undertaking that, if we have our eyes on the Father, consumes every bit of our time.  This life that we are called to live is so difficult, in fact, there was no room for anything else according to most of the letters written to the first churches, the apostles, and ultimately to Jesus.  The only thing that was mentioned as a side note was the care of widows and orphans.
 
I know that we are called to pay our way through work and money but, the use of money is not a bad thing.  It is a pillar of our social structure.  Although it can be dangerous, money is a tool only.  For that matter so is water.  I know that we are called to work diligently however, when the work is done, our extracurricular activities should fall under pursuing the kingdom.  Family life, art, music, friends……whatever should be seen as living life in the Father’s kingdom.  If any of our pursuits pull us away from that, then our eyes are focused on something else other than Jesus.  He warned us of this very thing throughout the Gospels.
 
I am pretty confident that we are not here to judge or point a finger at a person and say that “you, or what you are doing are wrong and I am better because I know God.”  We are here not to divide but to bring those into this kingdom that is “invisible, and so is His city, and the road in, is paved with words, and the door by which you must enter, you won’t find, it will find you, and when it does, you will never see or touch it, you can only trust it is real, and abide in it.” - Jeremy Ohl
 
I’m not sure if I am making any sense or not.  I just don’t want us to be bitching at each other for any reason.  This life is too short and we are supposed to be too busy diligently doing the Father’s will to look up and compare ourselves to each other.