Saturday, July 31, 2004

It’s Saturday and so I must blog…

I am engulfed in the book by Michael Yaconelli called Dangerous Wonder. I’m in chapter two and my mind is spinning with excitement. The quote on top of my blog is in this book along with many others.

I love my kids – this is obvious, however, their uncomplicated life keeps me entertained forever. They want to play relentlessly, ask questions never fearing the interruption or the answer, and explore everything from the paint on the wall to a plant in our garden to little bugs (of which they inform me of each encounter). Their life is an adventure. Mine is not. I get up everyday, go to work, come home, eat, sleep and start it all over again. My vacations consist of going to ones relatives for a three day weekend and visiting. I am known as a visitor, not a traveler. I go to concerts to be entertained, not knowing how to play a damned thing. Granted, the time spent with my beloved wife is indeed an adventure of it own. She engages my mind and soul with a pure passion that continues on long after each encounter is over. I want a life full of expeditions. I want to hear the whisper of my Father tickle my mind and chase after Him like a romp in a field – never knowing what’s behind each corner but never dreading the plunge. I want to speak to the Father and ask all the stupid questions that my mind has suppressed since a childlike curiosity has become inappropriate at my age. I want to be able to go to the movies (Borne Supremacy – Borne knows all!!) and be board because my life with the Father is more exciting that what is on the screen.

Although my life is burdened with responsibilities, I am not convinced that the adventurous life is unattainable. In fact the first generation of Christians were the most adventurous of all. They would put Christopher Columbus to shame.