Saturday, June 26, 2004

Conservatism, Liberalism, Censorship and Smoking - There, I think that I covered about all of it. However, unlike my normal rants about untruths in the secular world, I am referring to the Christian society.

As many of you know, I am – in the political sense – a strong conservative and for most of my life the same could be said about my Christian walk as well. However I have changed. Questions kept coming up in my heart that required answers that needed substance – more than pulling a verse out of context and trying best to make it fit. A wondering mind in the spiritual world is a dangerous thing – or so I thought. To be honest, I dreaded having a spiritual debate against anyone secular because I would shake at the thought that I could never think of the right verse to say or they would ask me a question that I didn’t know about. Now debating against a fellow Christian was an entirely different subject. I could pull verses out of my ass and fit them to show that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that God, I mean I was right – fight for the cause of being right!

Questions kept coming up in current events that required me to think outside the Christian bookstore. For instance, “if I am a child of Abraham, how can the Muslim faith be wrong?” I have yet to read the Curran and I have no clue about what they believe. Furthermore, most that read it are looking for some evidence that Muslims are wrong and they are right. That being said, if I believe that the Jesus of the bible is the only way to the Father, and Abraham and all the ancestors of the Old Testament lived before Jesus, were the ancestors doomed? Who am I to say that you are going to hell in a hand basket if you don’t know Christ? I’m not sure that Jesus went from town to town condemning people and whacking them upside the head with a bible preaching the “good” news. Nope. It was a love and passion for people that far exceeds our ability to comprehend.

I have been a Christian for about 25 years. I have had my first spiritual discussion with a person that doesn’t believe in the Father. From that conversation I realized that I believe in the Father, not because the bible tells me so, but because of the love I can see, because everything I see in this world points to a creator. I believe in Jesus not only because the bible tells me so but because of the love that he displayed and the interaction between him and the Father. It is something that I can’t deny. I could go on but you get the point.

Check this interesting little tidbit out.



I saw a shirt the other day that that was against censorship. I’m not sure as to why they were against it, but I thought, what the hell, I’ll comment on it. Censorship is for kids. Those that are against censorship don’t have kids or they shouldn’t. Without censorship, my 5 year old would walk up to me and say “damn dad, those pants make your ass look huge! Change them out you f***ing retard!” - I’ll vote to keep censorship thank you.



Did you know that C.S. Lewis smoked a pipe? Yup, and I am confident enough in my faith that I can too. God aint that picky. Being addicted to cigarettes is one thing, puffing on the sweet nectar of pipe tobacco is a another beautiful thing indeed. I can see it now: God sitting there in all his glory and explaining to me as to why I can’t be in his presence because he can’t stand pipe smoke. – Please, tell those people that are trying to convince you that it is wrong to go wash their car or do something productive.