Saturday, May 15, 2004

I admit it! I am a fan of Dr. Laura. Guilty, now start pointing the fingers.
As I was driving to an appointment, I listened to a caller ask what was best for her baby. She was pregnant, single, living in an apartment, going to college to better herself, and working part time. Dr. Laura told her something that struck me with pride. Yup pride – read on.
She told her that she must drop school, move back in with her parents (in order to establish some sort of “nest”, or home for that child to recognize) and never attempt to get married. Although she was living freely, she would soon be bound to her child until he was 18 years old. Everything would soon revolve around the kid. Whatever was in the best interest of the kid came first (and I am not referring to spoiling). All of this came from one thing – sex outside of marriage. For the rest of the kid’s life, he will never have a father figure because of this one mistake.
Now here is the part that I am proud of. Although the mistake was never committed, the circumstances were such that my mom did this very thing for me. After mom and dad’s divorce, we immediately went to live at my grandparent’s house. I was raised with my mom, grandma and grandpa and I couldn’t be any more proud of that fact to this day. Mom worked her ass of, had no dating life to speak of, and never did anything that wasn’t in my best interests. Somehow, through circumstances (if you believe that there are circumstances), I was able to go to a private school, I was never hungry, always clothed (nicely to say the least, in fact I think mom is still payin’ for some), and, if I may be so bold, married the best girl out there. My life today is what it is because mom recognized what were the important things in life and stuck to them.
Now, I have been told that if a guy came from a broken home, he will be doomed to create a broken home. This saying and all the others out there have officially earned the term of BULLSHIT. Those are just excuses for some guys who are mistakenly called men.
So if you ever want to ask my advice about something regarding children, go ahead, just don’t expect the answer to be very easy. After all, they are only mirrors of you.
On a side note, now that I have a family of my own, I get to experience pure joy on a regular basis because I can appreciate it. Everyday is a new adventure with my beautiful wife and 2 boys and a girl – I am blessed. God promised me happiness beyond my dreams and he gave me them. Their names are Tera, Clay, Damom, and Ella.