Friday, March 12, 2004

Passionate??

O.K. – I saw the movie (“The Passion”). Passion is originally defined as suffering – appropriate.

I am a fan of Gibson’s acting and directing, particularly Shakespeare’s Hamlet. I went to see the movie with that mindset. I loved it. It was done very well and it seemed very authentic. However, it didn’t show much of his life and I left feeling like something was missing. If your going to see the movie to prove a point to the secular audience, why? Save some money and hit your head against a brick wall instead. If you go and see it and leave feeling that you must read, pray, give and go to church more, why? Why torment yourself with more religious attempts to show that you love God? For me, the movie put pictures in my mind; so when I recall the stories, I can imagine the dress, atmosphere, the Pharisees, the disciples etc. True, his suffering was great. So were Peter’s, Andrew’s, and Paul’s. However, we as God’s people know that we do not rejoice in a dead God. Let’s leave that to the other religions. I would rather focus on his life and resurrection and more importantly his love for me. Any man can die. I have yet to meet a man that has been slaughtered and then get up in three days.