Monday, January 05, 2004

Raising Arizona

We spent 4 days in Phoenix over the new years. To say the least, it was disheartening. We, in that short amount of time, met with almost 50 people that were family and friends. It was a lot of work for my family and it put a strain on us.
The reason why I say it was disheartening was not about the hectic schedule. It was the conversations that I had with people. I think that mostly the people that I talked to thought that I was this great church reformer. For those of you that know me, I am passionate but reformer.... I don’t think so. I realized that my tongue has presided over my heart.
All I want to be is a man who is loving and being loved by his God and through that changes will occur. If God wants a church to be reformed along the way, then so be it, let God do it and I’ll watch, but that is not my purpose in life.
True, I do disagree with many issues of the current church but it is through me only asking questions.
1) How did the sinner’s prayer become the initial building block of Christianity?
2) Why is the church, who is the bride of Christ, operated like a business?
3) How can the bible be the only way that God speaks to me?
4) Why do churches raise enough money to feed all of Ethiopia but merely spend it on themselves?
5) Why do people think that a homeless preacher is their secret to monetary fortune?
6) Why do we think that it is our responsibility to shepherd God’s flock?
7) Why do I think that God can’t accomplish things with out my input and help?
8) Why are Christian books on the New York Times Best Sellers List?
9) Why are mega church pastors supposed to publish a book?
10) How am I right and you are wrong?
11) How can pastors, who are paid through the church, honestly be in touch with their working, 50 hours/week, flock?
12) Why is it preached that I must confess each and every sin on a daily basis or suffer the consequences?
13) Why is God’s love so evident in the broken and week but so vague in the middle and upper class Christians?
14) Why are people content with a silent Sunday type of belief?
15) If the bible is true and you believe it why not live it?
16) How can any situation be enhanced with “WWJD”?
17) How can one learn from only one person for 30 minutes/ week in the form of a sermon?
18) Is anybody else that is sitting in the pews as board with this as I am?
19) If Jesus loves me, then why am I often thought of as an asshole?
20) Is this as good as it gets?