Saturday, December 06, 2003

Racism -

I have had enough of it. I am sick of people hating others for no other reason than their appearance. I am no longer tolerating it with the people that I meet. I have customers that tell me that they avoid black people because they had a bad experience with a person that happened to be black. That is the most asinine statement I have ever heard. That is like saying that you had a bad experience with a person who happened to be female and from now on, I’m gona’ only deal with men. What a dumbass!

I am ashamed to say that I even hear this from my own family. The holidays are filled with family members talking with each other and throwing in a racial joke every so often. Even my own father despises black people. My blood boils. I can not comprehend why people can be so stupid.

"When you see me you don't see a man, you see a black man." (Samuel Jackson “A Time to Kill”) I think this statement is very true for most of us. At least it is very true for me. It has taken a long time for me to see past the small world of my family, but the other side is beauty. I think that the world would be a very different place if racism was removed. Social, economic and political (especially political) structures have survived only because of racism. I think that politicians are scared to death of making a true statement because it would end their career. I see racism, on both sides, as motivated by fear and fear alone.