Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Happy Frickin’ Holidays

Have you ever slowly pulled out a single hair on your arm? You watch as your skin peaks to the point of release and all the while you experience intense pain from this one little area. That best describes the feeling that I get when I receive “holiday” cards in the mail. I also experience this phenomenon when someone wishes me “happy holidays”.
Why are people so afraid to say “Marry Christmas”? How can this small statement offend anybody? Perhaps many of you folks might not know me well but to say that I am “politically correct” is offensive to me. I am who I am. If I wish someone a “Merry Christmas”, that is more of a statement of the sender than it is the receiver. I state that I believe in something profound and that I wish the blessings that I see in my beleif on the receiver. How can anybody receive blessings from “Holidays”? Which “holiday” are you referring to? If you are Jewish and you wish me “Happy Honokaa” I would be honored. Not that I am Jewish but the sender is and that he sends his blessings from his soul, the very nature of his being. If you say “happy Holidays”, it is a sure sign to me that you are luke-warm or an atheist who is making a pathetic attempt at merriment. I do realize that it is also a trend so as not to upset the receiver, but has anybody been harmed by a statement of blessings?
I wish you, from all that is within me, Merry Christmas.