Monday, December 29, 2003

Garage Sale

I spent last night cleaning out my garage (sorry Keith), which seems like I do this every time a project is completed. However, this time I dived into the old Thura cabinet. Along with the powdered drink mix and the 5 gallon dispensers (yes that’s right - plural – two dispensers for cold drinks and one for hot) I came upon some literature from our “core” leadership meetings of long ago (about 3 years). Back then we tried so hard to build his kingdom. We put ourselves at a fevered pace of each initial house church starting two additional house churches per year. To say the least, we failed in that category. In my search, I also found some drums. This was supplied by the Apex staff to initiate a music ministry. We have the guitar makin’ machine – this will be more than sufficient. As I cleaned, I reflected on my experience that God has let me be a part of and all that I have learned from it. My experience was one that started as a big church crammed into a garage. Same style, same effect and one that I fear a lot of our house churches are attempting. One single teacher and a audience. True, that audience will learn from the teacher’s experiences but they will only see a limited view of Gods footprint. I have learned to shut-up when I can (when I am not being lead by the spirit to speak) and to listen to everybody else. I tend to learn more, from the other 4 people who now make up our house church, by understanding how God has touched them which will help me see God more clearly. We as Gods people need to drop the baggage of traditional church theory when we attempt small group settings. I have tried and failed at every other attempt known to us. The only one that has worked is to let go of the reigns and let our souls run freely. Simply seek out the Father’s love and the rest will follow. It sounds chaotic and I would agree, but if we truly follow the same master, how can it fail? My wish to you is that you might experience the father's love more clearly next year.