Tuesday, November 25, 2003

After the retreat, i had a "hang-up". This helped me out immensely.
Wayne,
My name is Andrew Harshman and I was at the Apex retreat in Prescot, AZ (the father of the flatulenting baby). Since that time, we as a community have been stirred. When we gather as friends, the Father’s love is all that we seem to discuss. It has mysteriously consumed me. I don’t understand this new life completely, but that is irrelevant – the freedom and joy that has been uncovered is unimaginable. I am writing to you to thank you for your time with us and also to ask you a question.
For the past 4 years, the time that I have been most passionate about Him, I have seen my relationship as a servant to the father. This is thanks to a pastor in Phoenix who used Paul’s thoughts to show me that when Jesus died on the cross, he “bought me”. I was once a slave to sin and now I am free from that life, but I am not “free” indeed. Jesus paid a price for me. I now am a servant to Him (1 Corinthians 3:5, 2 Corinth. 6:4, Ephesians 4:12, 6:6). I do His will and I follow Him in a friendly manner. However, the part that Jesus said that “I'm no longer calling you servants because servants don't understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I've named you friends because I've let you in on everything I've heard from the Father” – doesn’t seem to fit into the equation. I wanted to know your thoughts on this. Is this a philosophy that works in the Fathers love? I know that I still have a lot to learn and that I still have to suppress the old religious life. I am currently reading “He Loves Me” and I am enjoying it immensely. Thank you for your life’s work.

Sincerely,

Andrew

Hi Andrew!

I remember you..... How are you doing?

I’m so blessed to hear how the retreat has impacted you. What a pick-me-up to read how the journey has continued. So cool!

Now about your question. This would probably be easier to discuss face to face rather than on email, but let me give it a shot.

Jesus’ offer to us of intimate friendship is the defining motive of this kingdom. I have no doubt of that. Paul said it was that love that motivated all he did (2 Cor 5). Living in that friendship, however, Paul does refer to himself occasionally as a servant of God’s in that he’s the one giving the orders and Paul is the one following him. He does it almost apologetically as he does in Romans 6:18-19, since the slave analogy is really a bit fleshly. Love will lead us to all the service he’d ever invite us to, but sometimes our flesh needs to remember that this is a kingdom we don’t control, we’re following a God who is not our equal, and serving our best friend in the universe is just the greatest way to go.

But Paul doesn’t seem to use the servant image as a fearful slave of an exacting taskmaster. Instead it is a beloved follower of a worthy Father. The best kind of servanthood I should think.

So I think the two images can blend together quite effectively, each carrying a bit different emphasis. I love doing what I do every day because the King (my older brother Jesus) has asked me to! So, in that sense I am his servant. But it is service with a smile because I know how loved I am.

Loved our time together out in AZ... Hope we get future chances for our paths to cross...

Wayne