Saturday, August 16, 2003

Today the store seems more like church than ever before.

Loretta-
Loretta is one of my first customers.
She is black and around 60 years old.
Her husband’s kidneys have failed and he is dying.
My heart aches.
To talk with her and see the look in her eyes is not very easy.
She won’t ask for help but her eyes are screaming for it.
I need you guys to pray and to be ready to help.
Even offer to take her husband to the hospital for dialysis would be a huge thing.
She doesn’t understand us at all.
She said that she is catholic but she doesn’t understand the simple idea of what we call church.
It hurts to have a friend experience so much pain.
However, God is here with us.

Ed-
Ed keeps my freezers and coolers running. He is very rough around the edges and dangerous and he makes fun of God and religion all the time. He also acts like a jerk but, for some reason, he tends to open up to me. I don’t know if this is what he always does to his customers or not but it is odd. Last week, his oldest son (about 15 years old) was stabbed about 20 times and was in intensive care for three days. Ed called me up and was very upset and was planning to do some very stupid things. I have no idea if I helped or not, but he hasn’t done anything yet. The good thing is that we are still in contact with each other and he is still talking to me.
Ed called me again and said that his wife wants a divorce now. I don’t know how much more he can take.

I hope I don’t sound like some sort of jedi Christian. I have been waiting to see some progress from this store and these two people seem to be it. I get very excited when I see God working in anything. I am ecstatic that He is letting me in on this.