Saturday, August 23, 2003

Death and Life –

To a child, death seems so frightening. I must admit, that I too am a little hesitant. However, my thoughts on death are seemingly less dreadful now and more intriguing. Everybody, at least to my count, dies. This is a fact. So what are we to do with this thought? As Christians, we tend to be more in tune with thoughts of death. In fact, our belief structure engulfs it. But why are we Christians? I wonder if the thought of death is so powerful that we seek an explanation for comfort, and in so doing do we get our preverbal free ticket to heaven. I know many that this thought process is as far as it takes them. They no longer dwell on things of the spirit. They have the answer and that is all that interests them. They pick up their life where they left off and continue until it is time to cash in their ticket. And for the record, I don’t think that this is only an “American thing”. That is simply stupid and we know better than that (Jesus lost about half of his followers after he yelled “Eat Me” – thanks Joe).
So, what explains our behavior? Why do we persistently pursue God after we received our free ticket? Why are we aggressively trying to live out our lives in a Godly way? You know the people that I am referring to. Not the ones who merely talk about it, but who are “in on it”. Why are our minds so affected by this new life that that this is all we think about? Our lives seem to reflect Jesus in so many ways, but yet we are not intentionally trying to do so. I don’t us out there quoting scripture to a guy at the counter of McDonalds or beating down doors trying to witness to no less than 20 people per day.
My life has been a “text book Christian”- I knew all the right books and have read the entire bible too many times to count. Until the past 3-4 years. Until I met you guys. Now I no longer see God on Sunday mornings only. Thank you forever guys. – Tangent – sorry.
Are we so horrified of death that we try to explain to ourselves that we are living in eternity and that death is only a transformation (by the way, I believe this one)? Or is it that ceasing to exist in the physical form (a.k.a. death) is no longer a hurdle that we are burdened with? I am blessed to read Palmer’s Journal about his wife and enduring her death. I can only hope that I could be so strong when my life is tested.
- Peace abundantly