Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Larry –
He is a guy that has been passing out flyers for the pizza place next door. Since Jim is away this week, I am having him help me with the store. He comes across as a very energetic young man who is very honest and who is also very eager to earn money. He was born in Mexico and his mom is Mexican and his dad is Cubin – if I remember right. He is a very nice guy. He is also living at a men’s shelter for $45 per night – as far as I am concerned, it had better be a damn nice shelter for that price. Anyway, the folks next door told me that they had hired another guy from that same shelter who had stolen some money from them. They were insinuating that I should watch him closely. I quickly replied that anyone of us could be a couple of months away from joining him at the shelter and unless he has done something to earn their distrust, they shouldn’t be so hard on him. I received no response from them.
I will be the first to admit that I am sometimes a sucker. I am a very optimistic person. I tend to not dwell on a person’s past as much as their character. As such, I think that I am a very good judge of a person’s character. It makes me sick to think that people see this guy as subhuman. Call it what you want, but I think that they see his skin color before they see his eye color. I think that I will risk a small loss of product or money than to risk him going somewhere else and struggle for food, clothing, water and shelter. What are the chances? What are the odds? I think that they are in His favor. After all, I am a slave to a God who was homeless as well.

By the way, if you are looking for an employee or know of someone who is looking for one, call me. Unfortunately I’m not sure if I can keep him busy everyday.