Sunday, June 08, 2003

I have been told that there are some couples that are struggling to survive in marriage. This is of no surprise since the current divorce rate is about 50-70% depending on which report that you hear.
For those of you that don’t know me deeply, let me shed some light on my life.
I come from a divorced family. Dad left when I was 3 years old. For the most of my adolescent life, I never really knew my father. My summers were spent in front of the window waiting for my dad to pick me up and take me to flagstaff (about 2 hours away) for 2 weeks. He didn’t keep good time so most of the day I waited to see my dad’s truck. Dad was and is a hard working man who didn’t get the summer off. So, I spent a lot of time with my step brother while waiting for my dad to get off work. That is about it for my young life. As you can see, I didn’t have a good idea of what a dad and a husband looked like.
I told myself that I would be the best father and husband that I could be despite my circumstances, and, no mater what, I would not quit. I will never put my offspring through that kind of life.
I met my wife in seventh grade. We virtually grew up together. It seems that it has always been Andrew and Tera. We started dating in 1988 and got married in 1995. My wife has been my best friend for all of those years. I don’t have a glorious fix all answer to anybodies marital problems, save for this:
Be crazy about your spouse. I mean really crazy. Guys, women are simple – you pursued her before you married her, and I assume it worked, so don’t stop.
Never, I mean never, speak negatively about the one you love – you picked her, it only speaks volumes about you.
Know your spouse well enough that the “discussion” can resume in the morning. Sometimes being too tired can cause more problems that the ones that you started with.
Make it crystal clear by your actions and attitudes that you will not entertain the thought of another.
I could go on, but izz gots to go.